Childhood Ear Infections
This article was provided by Dr. Jason Higgins DC, a chiropractor at Carlsbad Chiropractic and Integrative Wellness in Carlsbad, CA. If you'd like to learn more please visit https://www.carlsbadchiros.com/
Today I want to take a moment speak to you about childhood ear infections (acute otitis media), a condition that is seen often and treated for in chiropractic offices. Some may ask the question: “Why are children being seen and treated for an ear infection in a chiropractors office?” Let me show you why, but first let me give you some facts about ear infections and current medical treatment and interventions.
- Most childhood ear infections start as viral infections due to an upper respiratory infection, cold of flu, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics. Why is this fact important? It means that giving your child an antibiotic may not help with the ear infection, because antibiotics only treat bacterial infections and not viral infections. Furthermore, in many cases giving an antibiotic will prolong or even worsen the ear infection. In many cases the viral ear infection may then turn into both a viral and bacterial infection 92% of the time, after bacteria gets pushed into the ear from drainage of the mucus in the sinus cavities. This is why an antibiotic only works part of the time and also why the ear infection may come back once the antibiotic is done.
- The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends waiting at least 72 hours for an ear infection to clear up, before seeking medical intervention, and they do not recommend antibiotics, unless certain criteria are met.
- Placing tubes in the ears is a surgical procedure and like all surgical procedures it involves risks. While tubes have been effective in draining ears, preventing further ear infections, and may be necessary in extreme cases, it is important to know that placing tubes in the ears can and often does cause a deficit in the hearing of a child permanently, due to scarring of the eardrum. In addition, often times the tubes never fall out and the child may have to have a second surgery to have them removed.
- Using antibiotics to treat ear infections increases the likelihood of developing more ear infections, even as early as a month later. Again this can be related to the fact that most ear infections start off as viral and cannot be treated with the use of an antibiotic. In addition, while using the antibiotic the child’s natural immune system, made up of good bacteria found in the digestive tract, gets wiped out with the use of the antibiotic thus compromising the child’s defenses and resulting in more colds, flu’s and ear infections.
Parents might wonder what your options are then, if you don’t use antibiotics. Let me give you some alternatives and tell you a startling fact about chiropractic and ear infections.
- Childhood ear infections (both acute and chronic) according to the International Chiropractic Pediatric Association can be resolved within 24- 48 hours of having your child’s upper neck adjusted.
- Chiropractic adjustments will also prevent ear infections from coming back.
- Chiropractic adjustments on children are safe, effective, gentle and are done differently than an adjustment on an adult. Most children love being adjusted.
- Adjustments to the ears themselves, can change the pressure inside the ear, allowing for the fluids to drain and providing instant relief.
- While you may need to wait at least 72 hours to seek out medical intervention, you do not have to wait to see the chiropractor. In fact it is highly recommended to be seen while the child is sick and at the first sign of an ear infection, as this will boost the immune system and allow the body to fight the infection off better. All chiropractors have a scope to look into your child’s ears to check the status of an ear infection or even diagnose it.
- And of course the benefits extend beyond preventing ear infections, to include the improvement of many other childhood issues that you may never have thought of, such as: asthma, ADD, ADHD, autism, bed wetting, colds, flus and much more.
In addition to chiropractic care there are some nutritional things that can be done as well.
- Using garlic drops in the ears at night. Garlic has been known for and used for many things and what is unique about garlic is that it has antimicrobial properties. By placing garlic drops into the ears the oil can penetrate through the eardrum and help fight the infection, whether it is viral or bacterial.
- Using Olive Leaf Extract. Olive leaf extract is also known for its antimicrobial properties. When taken orally it boosts the immune system and directly fights infections of all kinds. For many centuries olive leaf extract was used as a natural antibiotic until the invention of pharmaceutical antibiotics. In many countries today and in many offices in the United States, Olive Leaf Extract is used to fight the common cold and the Flu and oth
Utilizing chiropractic care and pairing it with natural antimicrobial protocols is a great way to safely treat and fight off your child’s ear infections. And of course always consult your doctor before giving a child any kind of supplement or medication.
For more information on chiropractic and ear infections go to www.Icpa4kids.com